Saturday, December 04, 2004

My Sermon - Exposition of U2's Miracle Drug

Sermon Audio here, "Love is Kind"

Oh God ....I cannot give enough love to Bono and the sheer beauty of the new song "Miracle Drug". Bono has found the love of God. God bless him and all he puts his hands to. His Christianity puts all of us to shame regardless of our doctrine. We may have all knowledge, but, if we do not have love, we are nothing, useless.

Tomorrow, I am preaching on “Love is kind”. My opening point is that the definition of kindness is found in the scriptural revelation of the kindness of God.

Lu 6:35
"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Mt 11:30
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

Ro 2:4
Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kind ness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kind ness of God leads you to repentance?

1Pe 2:3
if you have tasted the kind ness of the Lord

God is kind. He sends His rain on the just and the unjust. His kindness is seen in Jesus’ taking our load and bearing our burden. The Father’s rich kindness leads us to repentance and breaks our hearts for the hurting around us. Taste and see the kindness of the Lord, and be kind to one another.

Kindness is the practical bearing of one another’s burdens. Kindness is to perform acts to sustain others and bless others.

All this talk of the manifestation gifts and the gifts of power... "Oh God, Your 'dunamis', Your most powerful work, is LOVE."

LOVE IS NUCLEAR!!

Kindness is the great weapon of the our God.

“Oh, I’ve had enough of romantic love
I’d give it all , yes, I’d give it all for a miracle,
A miracle drug”


Kindness sees the broken and sends its rain of help and healing. Romantic notions, though beautiful, are not the pressing need in our real world. Kindness is practical and powerful and purposeful and prayerful and unconditional.

Here, Bono is praying for a cure.

"Oh, God answer. And let me and your people sacrifice all we have for the poor and the sick. Let us lay down our lives in the AIDS hospices of the world, holding the hands of the lepers of today with the kindness and grace that our God has shown to us.

"For while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us".

“God I need your help tonight

Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
Its whispering

In science and in medicine
“I was a stranger.
You took me in”.


Oh, I have one prayer tonight that the church would rise up to embrace the power of practical kindness and release the nuclear love of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Oh God we want "to see Your thought take shape and walk right out"

Let us be the the great manifestation of the wisdom and power of our God.

God Bless,
brad

No comments: