Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mel Gibson's Repentance for Anti-Semitic Remarks While Drunk

Mel Gibson is handling this horrible situation remarkable well. Here is an example of real humility for a real shameful situation. Gibson's humble response might actually make this situation turn out positive.

Gibson said this morning:
"Hatred of any kind goes against my faith,” ... “I’m not just asking for forgiveness,” Gibson said. “I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.”

The following statement takes his humility and search for reconciliation even one step further. Gibson said:

I am “in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display” and hopes members of the Jewish community, “whom I have personally offended,” will help him in his recovery efforts.

Gibson is showing real humility here. He is saying:
1. I am the problem. I have a problem . I am sick.
2. I will do anything to reconcile.
3. I need help seeing what in me could be the real root cause. Again, the problem resides in my own spiritual and emotional brokenness.
4. I believe that I can be healed and that the relationship can be healed.

This is a great model of the reconciliation process. Gibson is taking he own moral inventory and he is seeking to make amends. WOW...I bet he has done 12-step work in the past.

Authentic Christianity doesn't mean that Christians are at all perfect but that we are on a journey of making progress by using principles of admission of our character defects, rigorously honest self-evaluation, and the making of amends to those we have hurt due to our moral short-comings.

No comments: