Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The Prayer Life of Bloggers and Where 21st Century Reformation is Going

The current series I am writing is intended to help all of us understand some of the prayer practices of a by-gone era. To look at these practices I have chosen the life of Jonathan Edwards. Why should we care about the prayer life of some Christian preacher from the 1740s?
My answer is that:
First, my personal experience is that prayer as a contemplation of God is sanctifying.

Second, I place my hope in what Jesus said when He said "You are the light of the world; a city set on a hill cannot be hidden". Here, Jesus was saying that the moral distinction of the church is its greatest apologetic for the truth of its message. He later says, "If salt loses its saltiness it is good for nothing.." Salt has a distinctive taste and if salt loses its distinctive taste, it is worthless. So too, if the church loses its moral integrity and distinction from the world, how are we to bear witness that Jesus brings the abundant life of joy and freedom.

Therefore, we must rebuild the age-old foundation not of theology only but of practice. That is the point of where we are going.

So how does blogging affect your prayer life? And how does blogging relate to your prayer life? Do you intend to blog from a prayerful place? Does that kind of blogging seem appealing to you?

My method or so I try to convince myself is to pray and get inspired from my prayer life and then write. It was said of A.W. Tozer that he lived in heaven six days a week and came down on Sunday to tell people what he saw. If I imitate this type of practice, then I will be fulfilling my calling.

brad

1 comment:

Catez said...

Good post Brad. I always pray before writing in my blog - sometimes I talk to God and sometimes I sit and contemplate. I find I need to focus myself on him and then I get ideas. I totally agree with your comments about being salt and light - that was why I started blogging in the first place. Thanks for this post - it's aimed true.
Catez, New Zealand